What to Do If You Inadvertently Consumed Moldy Bread

What to Do If You Inadvertently Consumed Moldy Bread

Rate this post

Nothing is more unpleasant than biting into a slice of bread only to discover halfway through that it is coated with a fuzzy, nasty material. The good news is that eating a little amount of moldy bread will most likely not hurt you; you will most likely feel queasy.

Hello, dear readers! My name is Shea, and if you didn’t already know, I adore bread. I’ll be honest with you: I did take a few bits of rotten bread by accident. Absolutely, it was upsetting and disgusting. So, thankfully, I didn’t need to go to the emergency room.

Don’t freak out if you just bit into a moldy piece of bread. Instead, continue reading to learn what to do if you eat moldy bread by mistake.

Let’s speak about all the commotion about the fuzz.

What to do if You Accidentally Eat Moldy Bread

Moldy bread isn’t very delicious, but that doesn’t mean you should scrape your tongue with a wire brush or hurry to the hospital. In reality, if you have a robust immune system, you don’t need to do anything.

Since the environment in your stomach is so harsh and acidic, most fungi and molds will die on contact. Having said that, your stomach will hardly detect that you ate something disgusting like mold, and it will be absorbed as normal.

Fundamentally, if you consume moldy bread, you should do the following:

  • Eat the bread
  • Feel ashamed and grossed out that you ate moldy bread
  • Scrunch up your face in disgust
  • Throw the whole loaf away
  • Try and think about something else
  • Watch for signs that extend beyond nausea
  • Be a bit more cautious of mold next time

Indeed, you may feel nauseated, but this is most likely not related to the mold. It’s more because you’re disgusted that you ate the mold. That is why I propose attempting to divert your attention away from it as soon as possible.

Can You Get Sick from Eating Mold?

It is quite unlikely that eating mold would get you sick. Although you may feel nauseated and have a minor stomach discomfort, you should not have any additional symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea.

If you have increasing symptoms that won’t go away, you should consult a doctor straight once. Anti-nausea medication may be prescribed by the doctor. Doctors may also prescribe medicine that produces diarrhea and vomiting in order to cleanse your system.

So don’t get too worked up over it. There is a very little possibility of this happening. The only way this could happen is if you ate a lot of moldy bread laced with Mycotoxins. Now, let’s be honest, are you going to keep eating fuzzy bread? I have my doubts.

There’s a possibility you’re allergic to mold as well. These allergies, however, are uncommon and should not be life-threatening. They may need medical attention, but this is just temporary, and you should recover quickly.

Can the Rest of the Bread Be Salvaged?

Tossing a full batch of bread because one piece developed mold seemed to be a huge waste of money and food. I hate wasting food. So I considered just chopping away the moldy part and saving the remainder of the bread.

Yet, study has taught me that you should never chop off the mold and consume the remainder of the bread. Mold has roots that will infiltrate bread. Mold spores may spread fast because bread is so soft, fluffy, and readily penetrable.

Even if you can’t see the mold right now, it’s true. This is a really entertaining video that explains what happens to the whole loaf of bread as mold begins to develop.


Eating moldy bread will not kill you and should not make you sick beyond a little nausea. If you’re still wondering what to do if you accidently ate moldy bread, have a look at the commonly asked questions below.

How long does it take to get food poisoning from moldy bread?

If you become sick from moldy bread, it will most likely happen within a few hours of eating it. Keep in mind that this is very unusual and usually occurs after consuming big quantities of stale bread.

Should I make myself throw up if I ate moldy bread?

You may vomit just because you found you have eaten the mold. After all, it’s rather revolting. Yet, you are not need to vomit after eating moldy bread. Mold, like everything else, will be digested by the stomach’s harsh and acidic environment.

Is bread mold penicillin?

That may come as a surprise, but the mold growing on your bread (or other items) might contain penicillin. But, I do not advocate eating it to treat any diseases.

Can toasting bread kill mold?

No, much the contrary. By toasting the bread, you create an atmosphere in which mold spores may spread more quickly. So, just because you toast your moldy bread doesn’t mean it’s safe to eat. Discard the whole bread and start over!

What is the green mold on bread?

Aspergillus is the name given to the mold that develops on bread and turns it green.

Final Words

Consuming moldy bread is unlikely to hurt you, although it is not recommended. Before eating, inspect your bread thoroughly. Don’t freak out if you unintentionally eat a piece of rotten bread. Just toss away the whole loaf and unwind.

Have you ever eaten a stale piece of bread? Did you get ill? What exactly did you do? Please share your experiences in the comments section!


Will I get sick if I accidentally ate moldy bread?

Mold on bread or bread with noticeable spots should not be consumed. While you can’t see them, mold roots may swiftly spread through bread. If you have a mold allergy, eating moldy bread might make you ill, and inhaling spores could cause respiratory issues. To avoid mold, try freezing bread.

What should I eat if I accidentally ate mold?

For fast reference, these foods are normally safe to consume after any mold has been removed:
Cheeses that are hard.
Salami is a hard salami.
Fruits that are firm.
Feb 23, 2022

What are the side effects of eating moldy bread?

Apart than being repulsed by the notion of eating or simply smelling moldy bread, it usually does little damage. Nausea is the most prevalent side effect of eating moldy food. Additional symptoms include coughing, sneezing, vomiting, headache, diarrhea, and fever.

What happens if you eat a little mold?

In most circumstances, ingesting a little amount of mold will not hurt you. The worst that can happen is a nasty taste in your mouth and a spoiled supper.

How long does mold stay in your body?

People may get unwell for months or even years after the source of the mold has been removed.

How much mold can make you sick?

In general, significant concentrations of mold are more likely to be harmful to one’s health. As a result, the more mold there is, the more probable it is that you may get symptoms rapidly. This, however, is dependent on your body. A single exposure to a modest quantity of mold may not be enough to induce symptoms in some individuals.

What is the green mold on bread?

Aspergillus is a mold that develops on ruined food, such as bread. It may also thrive in nutrient-deficient but moisture-rich conditions such as the basement. Penicillium is well-known for its antibacterial qualities and is often bluish-green in color. It may, however, release mycotoxins that are hazardous to both humans and dogs.

What are the signs of mold poisoning?

Some individuals are allergic to mold. Mold exposure may cause symptoms such as a stuffy nose, wheezing, and red or itchy eyes or skin in these persons. Certain individuals, such as those with mold allergies or asthma, may have more severe responses.

How long does it take to get sick after eating bad food?

Food poisoning symptoms normally appear one to two days after consuming contaminated food, although they may appear at any time between a few hours and many weeks afterwards. The most common symptoms are nausea and vomiting.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top